Kelsie has over 8+ years of teaching and instructional experience working within publicly funded organizations and programs. She is passionate and committed to helping others self-actualize and engage in their communities. She commits her time with The Rock Soup Greenhouse and Food Bank because she believes that services to help those in need shouldn’t further marginalize people who need assistance. She tries to show empathy and care to the people she meets, and hopes to directly contribute to community building wherever she is.
Additionally, Kelsie has a lot of fondness for the Albertan landscape and Wetaskiwin in particular, as it was a town often pass on the way to visit her grandparents. In her spare time Kelsie enjoys walking through nature, taking art classes, playing table-top games, and spending time with her cats.
Over 8+ years of teaching and instructional experience working within public/government funded organizations and programs. Passionate and committed to helping others self-actualize and engage in their communities. Committed to quality client support.
SKILLS & STRENGTHS
- Handles sensitive and confidential client information with professionalism
- Effective verbal and written communication skills: in-person, electronic, and over the phone
- International/multicultural experiences working with newcomers to Canada and Indigenous peoples
- Positive, non-judgmental attitude when assisting the public
- Experienced in dealing with people with mental health issues – Studied counseling techniques, Mental Health First Aid, and Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
RECENT EXPERIENCE & EMPLOYMENT HIGHLIGHTS
Youth Employment Counsellor / Employment Readiness Worker 01. 2018 – 09. 2020
Boyle Street Community Services, Edmonton, AB
- Primary involvement with the Boyle Street “Water Wings Program” – a 9-year program focused on assisting youth and adults faced with multiple barriers finding employment and/or volunteer opportunities
- Provided youth/adults with strategies and tools to support career goals, and help explore workplace and volunteer opportunities with increased confidence and professionalism
- Created and prepared presentations and materials for student learning
- Outreach efforts resulted in reaching 250+ youth who would have otherwise been unable to participate
Teacher-on-Call/ Temporary Teacher 09. 2015 – 01. 2018
Various School Divisions, North & Central AB 01. 2012 – 01. 2015
- Experience working with students with cognitive, behavioral, and emotional disabilities
- Temporary Teacher with Aspen View Public Schools covering two medical leaves; taught multiple subjects including Grade 4/5 core classes, junior high Math, Science, and Foods
Visual Arts Foundation Certificate 2018 – 2019
Bachelor of Secondary Education 2007 – 2012
University of Alberta